Text begins from here.
Environment:Overview of Environmental Impact and Environmental Accounting
Overview of Environmental Impact From Business Operation
Production: 300 manufacturing sites
Logistics: Logistics stage of procurement, production, marketing and waste by partner companies and Panasonic.
Product use: Lifetime power consumption (a) of major products*9 with large amounts of energy use and CO2 emissions (b) associated therewith.
a = Annual power consumption of a model sold*10 x Sales quantity x product life*11
b = Annual power consumption of a model sold*10 x Sales quantity x product life*11 x CO2 emission factor*12
Recycling: Recycling of products means to use by oneself or to make into a state available for sale or free of charge the components and materials of a separated product.
- *1Figures from photovoltaic and biomass sources. Heat pumps not included.
- *2Object substances are based on the Panasonic Chemical Substances Management Rank Guidelines (for factories), including the substances in the Pollutant Release and Transfer Registers.
- *3The factors related to fuels are based on the Guidelines for Calculation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions (version 2.2) published by the Japanese Ministry of the Environment. The CO2 emission factor for electricity purchased in Japan (kg-CO2/kWh) is fixed at 0.410. The factors above are also used for electricity purchased from power producers and suppliers (PPS). The GHG Protocol factors for each country are used for electricity purchased outside Japan.
- *4Release amount: Includes emissions to air, public water areas, and soil.
Transfer amount: Includes transfer as waste and discharge into the sewage system. Recycling that is free of charge or recycling where Panasonic pays a fee for treatment under the Waste Management Law is included in "Transfer." (Different from the transferred amount reported under the PRTR Law.)
- *5Intra-region outside Japan not included. Former SANYO Electric not included in international transportation.
- *6Figures for Japan.
- *7Former SANYO Electric is not included in the intra-region outside of Japan and international transportation.
- *8Air conditioners, TVs, refrigerators/freezers, washing machines/clothes dryers, and PCs.
- *9Household air conditioners, commercial air conditioners, household fluorescent/silica lamps, LED lamps, LED lighting equipments, refrigerators, EcoCute, LCD TVs, plasma TVs, IH cooking heaters, dish washer and dryers, bathroom ventilator-driers, dehumidifiers, extractor fans, washing/drying machines, fully-automatic washing machines, electronic rice cookers, microwave ovens, warm-water bidets, irons, hair dryers, air purifiers, under-rug heaters, vacuum cleaners, BD recorders, electric thermal pots, clothes dryers, extractor hoods, household facsimiles, telephones, etc.
- *10For each product category, the model that was sold in the largest quantity in the region was selected.
- *11Number of years during which spare parts for the product are available (defined by Panasonic).
- *12Regional CO2 emission factors (kg-CO2/kWh) used: 0.410 (Japan); 0.487 (Europe); 0.579 (North America); 0.740 (China); 0.927 (India); 0.527 (Asia Pacific, Northeast Asia); 0.332 (Latin America); 0.327 (other regions).
Panasonic globally collects data on its environmental conservation costs and economic benefits obtained through its environmental activities in relation to generated/controlled environmental impact. This data is internally utilized as basic information for our continuing environmental sustainability management.
Environmental Accounting for Fiscal 2013
|Environmental conservation in factories
- *13Where an entire amount of investment and expenses cannot be regarded as environmental conservation costs alone, the difference or appropriate portions (divided proportionally) are not calculated.
- *14Expenses include a cost of capital investment depreciation.
Environmental Conservation Benefits for Fiscal 2013 (in physical terms)
||Reference indicator: environmental impact
|CO2 emissions from production activities
||0.43 million tons
||3.56 million tons
||3.13 million tons
|Human Environmental Impact
||146 thousand counts
||955 thousand counts
||809 thousand counts
|Final disposal of waste
||8 million m3
||53 million m3
||45 million m3
Economic Effects for Customers for Fiscal 2013
|Electricity cost reduction from product usage (global)
|Reduced amount of electricity*15
||67 billion kWh
|Reduced electricity costs*16
||1,050 billion yen
Sub Menu begins from here.