Panasonic is developing technologies to make new products from recycled resources.
For example, one of our unique technologies reuses the non-leaded glass from discarded CRT televisions to make vacuum insulation materials.
We have also developed equipment to separate different plastics as well as molding technologies for reusing these plastics in new products. We will continue to develop new technologies that can reuse even more recycled resources in the future.
We make new Resources Recycling-oriented Products from recycled resources. Recycled plastic is used to make the bodies of vacuum cleaners and rice cookers as well as the under-frames of washing machines. Meanwhile, glass wool recycled from CRT televisions is used to make vacuum insulation material for refrigerators. Click on each image to see each product introduction page.(in Japanese.)
Definitions of rechcles plastic
- *1Ratio of recycled material used in glass wool for vacuum insulation material.
- *2Ratio of recycled plastic (containing at least 80% recycled materials) within the plastic components used in the product.
- *3Ratio of recycled plastic (containing at least 65% recycled materials) within the plastic components used in the product's body.
- *4Ratio of recycled plastic (containing at least 89% recycled materials) within the plastic components used in the product's body.
- *5Planned to be launched in April 2012 (Japan).
Product link(in Japanese.)
There are many different types of plastics, such as polypropylene and polystyrene.
In order to recycle and reuse mixed plastics of various resin compositions, we first need to separate out the different types.
In the past, this separation was difficult to achieve with a high degree of purity.
However, Panasonic has developed a highprecision resin-sorting system as a solution to this problem.
Near-infrared rays are used to identify the individual types of plastic, to separate them out into highly pure fractions, and then to recover each type.
High-precision resin-sorting system (separator process)
Panasonic is also promoting initiatives to develop more ways of using recycled plastics in new products.
With the technology of 3D in-mold decoration, we are now able to use recycled plastic materials in cosmetic applications by coating them with a layer of high extension film.
This material looks just like white cotton candy. It is actually glass wool made from the glass in discarded CRT televisions. This glass wool is then processed into 'Vacua' - a vacuum insulation material developed by Panasonic - and used in products such as refrigerators.
Glass wool made from recycled cathode ray tubes
* Planned to first used in April 2012.
- Panasonic Eco Technology Center Co., Ltd. (PETEC)
- Resouces Recycling through Products:Reduction in Resources Used
- Resouces Recycling through Products:Making Full Use of Recycled Resources
- Zero Waste Emissions from Factories
- Recycling:Other Activities
- Recycling:Regional Report(Japan)
- Overview of Recycling for Specified Home Appliances(JAPAN)
- Recycling:Regional Report (Out of Japan)
- Recycling:PC recycling